Monday, 27 May 2013

Darcy inspired Coaster

Over on Paper Artsy blog this week it's Darcy's turn to inspire us.  for her first project she made cork coasters.............

I found some nasty solid plastic ones hanging around - as you do!  I gesso'd the underside as the top has a raised lip.  I then used Cheesecake, Guacamole and Pansy fresco finish paint to do the drag with a credit card technique, well this was epic fail number one: the three old loyalty cards I had squirrelled upstairs - vanished! I then found a small keyfob one, well that wasn't big enough and I may have used too much paint so it muddied a bit, ok, a lot! I then decided to speed up the drying by heating it, this gave the beginnings of a crackle finish, so I used a couple of dobs of Cheesecake and Pansy to re introduce those colours.  I then heat dried this layer.

Next followed disasters two and three!!  I used ripe persimmon distress stain through a Crafters workshop stencil, Sam says she has the same luck I do when using stencils and sprtitzers, so I thought this would be a safer option. ~WRONG~ it all went bleurgh.  I wiped it off with a wet baby wipe.  Tried again witht he same colour in distress ink on a sponge.  Looking good, heat dried it, went to go over with with thin layer of zesty zing and it all smudged again.  Washed off with baby wipe .  If you look closely you can still see some ghosting of the stencil but not much.  At this point I gave in and used a couple of Hot Picks for the florals and the grasses.


my entry for Paper Artsy

11 comments:

sam21ski said...

Despite all the hitches it came out fab Jax xxx

Sam xxx

Helen said...

I agree it looks great... have yet to find a coaster blank to try on.

Darcy said...

awww so many disasters, sorry about that but well done for persevering. It was well worth it in the end. I love the stamps you chose and once you spray varnish it you will have a great lil coaster. In awe that you made one so quick lol

Sarah Dunkley said...

Looks great! Haven't even looked for mine yet! xxx

Cazz said...

Looks great hun. If you hadn't of said, you'd not know there were disasters in it at all. x

isisimaginings.com said...

It looks great! Love the colours & the stamping. Most of the Colourwash spray I used came off no matter how careful I was, so I decided to let it go.

Leandra Franich said...

Well it all turned out great in the end! Distress products are not permanent (except the paint once dried), so you know how they are 'activated by water' as one of their features? Well they are an unstable ink, which means no matter what you do they will never heat set to a permanent finish. It also means they are better used on a sucky surface(like card) and not a sealed (ie painted) surface, and the ink need the porous surface to grab onto. If you had used a permanent dye ink (memories, archival) or a pigment ink, then you would have been OK once it was heat set.

But it looks great, so tevs! You got there...gotta love a baby wipe to the rescue!

Gillian .... said...

"Happy accidents" always normally end well ... and safe to say this time it did Jax, love those stamps you used. Thanks for joining in our GD challenge. x

Trish said...

Well, it may have had it's hitches, but it sure looks great in the end!

craftytrog said...

It turned out great in the end Jax! x

Julie Ann Lee said...

Oh, it worked out so well in the end! I love the stamps you chose. xx